Monday, January 7, 2013

And thus I enter the world of animation...

I'm officially rebooting this blog, since I've never kept up with it or any of the others I've tried to start. I think my problem is that I was thinking about it all wrong-- I somehow got it in my head that an art blog should only be new, finished material. I considered it to be a portfolio, rather than what it really is; it's about the process, inspirations, random thoughts, and activities that all go into making my art. Once I get my portfolio up and running, it will become a completely separate tab like my animation and resume. This part of my internet presence is not necessarily for my professional work, but for what makes me a person and excites me, things that I want to share with others about my work or random occurrences around me. So, something I'm going to start doing either weekly, monthly, or just whenever the mood strikes me, is revisiting past projects. I want to bring them back up to the surface and explore them in a hopefully witty and informative manner. So I invite you, all three people reading this, to join me on a beautiful journey through the inner-workings of what brought me to where I am today. Laugh with me, cry with me, stress with me and feel my pain, the pain of not knowing what I was doing when making short films of the animated variety. We'll start with my very first, a stop motion film created in 2009; Batspork.


Batspork was the result of a wonderful class taught at LA Mission college in Sylmar, CA by the one and only Shayne Hood. In this class you learn many Experimental Animation techniques, and some accidental history along the way. Your final project is to create a short animated piece, and with this knowledge I decided to figure out a way to make every assignment in the class relate to what I wanted my final to be, so in the end I could combine everything into a longer, more intricate piece; a music video for Octopus's Garden by The Beatles. It was the third to final class, and the next class time was to be dedicated to shooting the final installments of this piece, when I remembered a funny picture I had seen on the internet, probably through a Neopets forum. The image was a spork with the middle tines broken and a caption saying "My spork thinks it's Batman." Suddenly, imagination ablaze, I feverishly scribbled storyboards for what I thought to be the most brilliant and comical piece of entertainment known to man. I spent the next week gathering material, trying to find sound clips online that could build a coherent story, and I used my class time slot on one of three animation stations to make this beauty come to life. At home I edited the animation to fit the sound clips and anxiously exported the footage, with a few minor technological hiccups along the way. They always say that the best films have the most production complications-- time restraints, low budgets, actors that are actually goats in disguise, etc. I believe wholeheartedly in this concept, as I still consider Batspork to be my finest work to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment