Friday, January 25, 2013

SPREAD THE WORD: HARLEY'S AN ARTIST

Today is the last day of my school's Interim, which is basically a short period before classes start where you have to take a two week intensive workshop in your program. Of course, Experimental Animation was the only program in the school of Film/Video to have an Interim session, and since I only have two classes in my program this semester so I can get my Critical Studies out of the way before I start working on my thesis film, I had most of my normal classes in addition to an Interim workshop. I'm not complaining, though- this class was awesome. I not only learned a lot, but I can now add many more items to my list of things to think about while setting up a shot, animating, or planning my next film. Also today we get free pizza. Any teacher that ends a class with free pizza knows what they're doing.

As a result of this workshop I got to make probably the best 25 seconds I will ever produce. BEHOLD!- my first ever "serious" film-thing (does 25 seconds count as a film?). Up until now I just wanted to make people (and, frankly, myself) laugh, with stop motion as the most fun way of accomplishing this, but now I have successfully made something "pretty." It was a lot of fun, and I love that I was able to make something like this, but animating for laughs is my true passion, so now that Interim is done I'm going to return to my Marshmallow brethren.

Extremely Photoshopped still!

Side-note: I still have another major project hanging over my head aside from my telling of the Great Marshmallow/Chocolate Bar War, so I haven't been doing a lot of work that I can post here like drawings that I'm happy with or cute sewn things and whatnot. I have instead resorted to writing long blog posts which comes kind of easy to me and covers up the fact that I don't have much else to put here... Walls of text describing how I feel about my work and what I've been doing lately are a great way to take up space and act like I'm being productive, but that's not necessarily what I want on this blog. Soon, I hope, I will be posting more production shots, animation tests, and drawings and the like. I want this place to be more about visuals than writing fancy posts saying that I've been doing stuff to try and prove that I have been. I guess it's better than ignoring this place altogether, but more actually arty things are coming soon!
I'll still be writing those posts about past stuff that I talked about in my first post, and those will have walls of text because they are more about the stories than the product.

I'm still writing my novel-book-thing! Hopefully it'll be done sometime this summer, but in the meantime I might print up some previews to give out to those who ask very nicely. Stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. How comment do.... ALSO BLOG GUUUUUD how follow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO IDEA. I guess "Subscribe by email" might work (under this comment-typey box thing)? But that might just subscribe to this comment thread... TECHNOLOGY

    ReplyDelete